Thursday, June 30, 2005

Isn't it Ironic?

Whilst painting my aunt's home yesterday (to make at least some money) my cell phone rang. It was the company that I had applied for nearly two months ago. Long story short is I'm now employed. Thanks God.

I don't begin until July 11th so I've still got a little time on my hands. When my span of unemployment began I had imagined myself to do some disciplined fasting and praying with an extra sprinkle of Biblical study. Instead what I've found is that I'm lazy dead-beat at heart whether employed or no. My wife asked me as she lay in bed tonight what I had read in the Word. Fumbling through the disorganized files in my cranium I realized that I hadn't been in the Word, but instead read a book about it's importance. Is this ironic? I'm not really sure as I've heard a famous musician sing an entire song called, "Isn't it Ironic?" without many of her scenarios being examples of true irony. Or so my brother said. It's attempted profundity crashing on the shores of ignorance. Perhaps that was the true irony of the song.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about this. One can pretend to have a relationship with another person without really having one. However, if the pretender bumps into someone who really knows that person, the gig is up. Fraudulent claims are revealed. Our relationship with God is just that revealing. When I run into someone who really makes a discipline of cultivating their transendent relationship, I feel like a guy on a commercial saying, "I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on TV." If I'm an actor, when the patient is on the operating table, there is no life at stake. It's all for show. But if I'm the real deal, I've studied the books and put the knife to flesh. I literally use my knowledge and practiced actions to cut away the bad and save the good. Similarly, when it comes time to counsel or to examine even my own self. If I'm not studying and practicing, spiritual well-being is at stake.

So I'm dusting off and organizing the files in my cranium. When It comes time to metaphorically put knife to flesh I don't wish to be unprepared. Sheesh, this wound up more profound than I expected. Is that ironic?

4 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Joshua Duncan said...

HEY! Post again!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Joshua Duncan said...

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!!

*clap clap*

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!!

*clap clap*

If you're happy and you know it ,and you really wanna show it,
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands!!

*clap clap*

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Elder's Wife said...

So true about the "pseudo-relationship thing. We Christians become really great actors--Lots of spirituality, even when we're not in the Spirit. Enjoyed your blog--Keep writing. By the way, my church is Living Hope Bible Church, too, but we are in Wisconsin. Check us out athttp://where-we-live.blogspot.com/ and http://www.livinghopebiblechurch.org/coming_events_.htm

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger MJ said...

That is so funny...That song always really annoyed me. Such a truly timeless classic. I really hate how we get so caught up in reading books about being spiritual that we forget to actually try to connect with God. Like if we fill in the right words in the blanks of the Purpose Driven Life Workbook this will somehow equal a "purpose driven life" I filled in the blanks and I still have a ME ME ME driven life. Sometimes we can be dumber than a bag of hammers. I can admit that and then two breaths later think I can tell God how to do his job. It's a wonder we get anything done. Speaking of Jobs, glad to hear you have one. That is always a blessing. I too, have recently come to terms with my own laziness. Well, I haven't actually come to terms with it. I've just sort of began to kind of almost acknowlege that it was there. But, hey that's a start. I do, however work very hard at manufacturing excuses for why I am lazy and labor quite intently to construct very intricate systems of denial that are eloquintly enfused with jewels of sarcasm. You know what is really amazing? And, we seldom praise God for this. But, it really blows my mind that God can work within all of our ignorance and foolishness. How does he do it? I manage to be a very strange and warped individual and yet somehow through all the cloudy muck inside my brain... God's light manages to get through sometimes, and more rarely than it should, it actually shines on someone other than me even though I am a selfish little brat. Now that is what really amazes me about God. Anyhow...cool blog. Be blessed. God luck with the new job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home